Stephen Ministry – New Training Class Beginning Soon
When was the last time someone really listened to you? We are talking about that undistracted, full attention kind of listening. This is one of the ways Stephen Ministers care for others. We need more Stephen Ministers to care for those who are making a long journey through the valley of a life crisis. Will you consider serving in this way? A new training class will begin in September. For more information, contact George Lamperti, 402-871-6288 or email@example.com.
What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is a program that is grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another. It equips people to provide one-to-one caring relationships to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances.
- Is life more than you can handle alone right now?
- Are your health, your attitude, or your relationships suffering?
- Are you adjusting to a new job, a change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, a recent move?
- Would you like to have someone in your life who really cares?
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, to share God’s love with you can help you get through the confusion, stress, or or loneliness you may be experiencing.
Stephen Ministry Meets The Needs of People….
There are times when each of us needs the care of another person. These needs include, but are not limited to, facing life transitions, new members of the parish, looking for a spiritual companion, hospitalized, bereaved, serious illness, job crisis, disabled, lonely or aging.
How Does the Referrals Process Work?
- A person — you, a relative, or a friend — is hurting and/or in need of Christian care.
- The Stephen Ministry Leader learns about this need for care—from you, the pastor, or a friend, always with the person’s permission.
- The Stephen Leader meets with the person to talk about the Stephen Ministry.
- With the person’s permission, the Stephen Leader assigns a Stephen Minister who will contact the person and arrange for a meeting.
- The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for the person in strict confidentiality. Their identity and what goes on in the caring relationship will remain private. Only one Stephen Leader, the Stephen Minister, and the person receiving care are aware of the caring relationship.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is…..
- A caring Christian friend who really listens,
- Someone who expresses God’s care to others through their lives,
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care,
- A lay person who is committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship.
A Stephen Minister is not….
- A counselor or therapist,
- A problem-solver,
- A casual visitor,
- A spiritual director
How Can You Support Our Congregation’s Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is Christ Caring for People through People